Friday, December 23, 2011

Work - Year 2011

I am still in the office now. Unbelievable, right? This ungodly hour... I am supposed to be home at this time now, having taken my dinner and bath, and relaxing on the couch now. Too bad, fantasies don't always translate into reality... =)

The office is very quiet now.. only me and my music. I thought.. "Why not I pen down my thoughts on what 2011 means to me?".. Here I am.

Year 2011 is probably the scariest roller-coaster ride I've ever had, yet. The number of times I had to endure the extreme ups and downs were so many, that I've lost count. They were so mentally-and-emotionally exhausting. " Are your sacrifices worth it?". "Why do you not stand up for yourself and demand for some attention which you deserve?". These questions never cease to circle my mind, the way vultures do when they chance upon their food.

Each time I get home, the sun has set ages ago. Even the "tai chow" restaurants are already closed for the day. I was struggling like hell, trying to adapt to new ways of working, new environment, new colleagues, new busiess, new ways of evaluation, and eveything else. 24 hours never seem to be enough. And, the work culture does not encourage you to shout for help, when you need one. You will get killer alien stares from your colleagues who are probably irritated with your whiny act. I had no choice, but to do it on my own.

Lots of hard knocks on the head. Bandages are never sufficient. As time goes by, I guess I was emotionally-immunised. Nothing seems to faze me anymore. Roadblocks? Oh well, just work around it. If you fail to work around it, be prepared for your business's wrath. What goes in the right ear, comes out from the left.
Can't get the access to some folder or system? Log a ticket with the IT team, and wait for them to attend to your request. May take up to a week just to resolve an issue. Trust me.... it took a lot of restraint on my part, to make sure I do not end up cussing, without me realising.

Lingo management - This is one of the toughest part to deal with. It still is hard, and I don't foresee it improving, It might get even tougher.. as you are dealing with people from different businesses. Why do I say it's difficult? I'll share a story... I was in a call with another colleague discussing on some work issues. That was when I said "But it's compulsory". All I got as a response was pure silence. That was when I thought to myself "Ooops, did I disconnect the call unaccidentally?". I checked the line, we are still connected to one another. That's when realization hit me hard. "Compulsory is not an approved-lingo.. No wonder you got no response". I immediately switched the word with "Mandatory" and the call turn alive again. *Roll eyes* These are the little things which frustrates and embarasses you till no end, because it's so simple, yet it's effect is so lethal.

Colleagues - 8 of us joined the company at the same time, and it does make life at work more bearable. Because you can bitch with one another about how stupid things are, how ineffiicient systems are, how irritating who-and-who can be, how "Upside" or 'Backside" it can be, etc. Our lunch sessions are always the best time to vent and bitch about stuffs. I consider our group very creative.. we can bitch about everything, from nothing to something... Haha. It makes you snap out of work, at least for that one meagre hour and relax a little. I've come to realised that the support group is really essential to ensuring your sanity..... Thank you guys for having never failed to brighten my day, during lunch... =)

My wish for Work - Year 2011 is that:
- After all the sweat, tears, and hard work, my only hope is that these little things do not go unnoticed, and a simple acknowledgement on a job well done, is good enough to warm my heart, and make me not lose faith in the people working in this company.

*A job upgrade with a high pay is not too much to ask for too...* << All I want for Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment